Mary Batman (1766–1840)

MARY BATMAN, or BATEMAN (née MOBBS) made the journey to the Colony of New South Wales with her two young children: MARIA BATMAN and ROBERT BATMAN per Ganges (1797). She was one of the few to voluntarily make the journey following their partner’s sentence to transportation beyond the seas. WILLIAM BATMAN or BATEMAN, had been tried at the Old Bailey and found guilty of receiving saltpetre, stolen by MARY’s brother WILLIAM MOBBS, who was also transported for the offence. The first child born to WILLIAM and MARY BATMAN in the colony was JOHN BATMAN, who went on to be a mass killer of Aboriginal People during The Black War in ‘Van Diemen’s Land,’ Lutruwita (Tasmania) and then became the Founder of Melbourne. The couple’s youngest son, CHARLES, died aged 9 in 1818 and was buried at St. John’s Cemetery. MARY’S husband WILLIAM “died by the visitation of God” in December 1833, their son WILLIAM RICHARD BATMAN died the following December 1834, aged just 28 years old, followed by their only daughter, MARIA, who died in 1835. JOHN BATMAN and HENRY BATMAN then died in 1839, as did MARY’s brother WILLIAM MOBBS. MARY herself died in 1840, having outlived all but one of her children: ROBERT BATMAN, who lived another 27 years, dying in 1867.

Names

  • Birth Name: MARY MOBBS
  • Married Name: MARY BATMAN
  • Alternate: MARY BATEMAN
  • Alternate: MARIA ANN BATMAN

Burial Location

  • Section 3, Row B, No. 10, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta

Relationships

Related Content

ROGUES, RAPISTS, CHEATS, THIEVES AND MURDERERS: THE BATMANS (2021)

By Michaela Ann Cameron

Abstract: In recent years, Parramatta Lanes festivalgoers have packed into a narrow laneway bearing the sign ‘Batman Walk’ off Macquarie Street, Parramatta, to feast on flavoursome street food whilst feasting their eyes on quirky art installations. Perhaps one or two attentive types made a jocular comment about the caped crusader, little realising that this particular laneway actually owed its name to an old Parramatta family that resided here, in a humble cottage that predated and once shared the same allotment as the architect James Houison’s two-storey sandstone Georgian townhouse at 64 Macquarie Street. The present day redevelopment of Parramatta being what it is, even since the festival, the laneway has been widened as part of the city’s new Civic Link: ‘a green, pedestrianised public space and cultural spine’ physically ‘connect[ing] public life from the heart of Parramatta CBD to the River.’ Yet, due to its former occupants ‘the Batmans,’ a small vertebra of that ‘cultural spine’ also invisibly connects to Parramatta’s historic St. John’s Cemetery, and even more broadly, connects the City of Parramatta to Lutruwita (Tasmania) and the City of Melbourne in historically significant ways. Read more>>

Multimedia

Lists

# English

# Came free

# Ship: Ganges (1797)

# Burial year: 1840

# Grave: marked