William Richard Batman (1806–1834)

WILLIAM RICHARD BATMAN was the fifth child of six born to WILLIAM BATMAN and MARY BATMAN. His elder brother, JOHN BATMAN, ‘founded’ Naarm (Melbourne). Unlike two of his older brothers, WILLIAM junior remained in Parramatta where he worked as a carpenter. He was twenty-eight years old when he died, and was laid to rest at St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta, Burramattagal Country, on 14 December 1834.

Burial Location

  • Section 3, Row B, No. 9, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta.


Related Content


By Michaela Ann Cameron

Abstract: In recent years, Parramatta Lanes festivalgoers have packed into a narrow laneway bearing the sign ‘Batman Walk’ off Macquarie Street, Parramatta, to feast on flavoursome street food whilst feasting their eyes on quirky art installations. Perhaps one or two attentive types made a jocular comment about the caped crusader, little realising that this particular laneway actually owed its name to an old Parramatta family that resided here, in a humble cottage that predated and once shared the same allotment as the architect James Houison’s two-storey sandstone Georgian townhouse at 64 Macquarie Street. The present day redevelopment of Parramatta being what it is, even since the festival, the laneway has been widened as part of the city’s new Civic Link: ‘a green, pedestrianised public space and cultural spine’ physically ‘connect[ing] public life from the heart of Parramatta CBD to the River.’ Yet, due to its former occupants ‘the Batmans,’ a small vertebra of that ‘cultural spine’ also invisibly connects to Parramatta’s historic St. John’s Cemetery, and even more broadly, connects the City of Parramatta to Lutruwita (Tasmania) and the City of Melbourne in historically significant ways. Read more>>



# Born in colony

# Burial year: 1834

# Grave: marked