DR. BEN VINE is a Ph.D., lecturer, and tutor in the Department of History at the University of Sydney. His doctoral thesis, “For the Peace of the Town: Boston’s Politics in the American Revolution, 1776– 1787,” conferred in 2018, focused on how the townspeople of Boston negotiated local conflicts while attempting to serve the American cause and construct the new nation.
Dr. Vine has written reviews for the Australasian Journal of American Studies, The New England Quarterly and the Australian Book Review and has also presented at conferences. At the University of Sydney, Dr. Vine has gained experience teaching, both as a course coordinator and as a casual tutor, in courses on American History and Modern History since 2015.
From 2015 to 2016, Dr. Vine was a Fellow of the David Library of the American Revolution, Washington’s Crossing, Buck’s County, Pennsylvania, USA.
- “Imperfect Unions: The Founding Truths of US Political History”: Review of These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore,” Australian Book Review, (Jan–Feb 2019), no. 408: 22–23.
- “Review of The Royalist Revolution: Monarchy and the American Founding, by Eric Nelson,” Australasian Journal of American Studies, Vol. 34, No. 2 (December 2015): 133–35.
- “Review of American Spring: Lexington, Concord, and the Road to Revolution, by Walter R. Borneman,” The New England Quarterly Vol. 88, No. 2 (June 2015): 348–50.
- “The Only Service They Do Us: Debt, Taxes, and the French Navy in Revolutionary Boston, 1780–86,” Australian and New Zealand American Studies Association Conference, Australian Catholic University, 28 June 2017.
- “The Storm is Not Over: Class, War, and Taxes in Revolutionary Boston, 1776–1783,” Australian Historical Association Conference, University of Sydney, 9 July 2015.
- “The Peoples’ Papers? Class and Newspaper Rhetoric in Revolutionary Boston,” Australian and New Zealand American Studies Association Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, 2 July 2015.
- Doctor of Philosophy (History) University of Sydney (2018)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons 1) (Major: History, Minor: English) University of Sydney (2013)
- Isaac Knight: The Trusty Sergeant (2016)
- John Palmer: The Purser, The P.O.W (2016)
- Ann Smith: A Plunderer in the War Against Want (2019)
Follow Dr. Ben Vine on Twitter: @benvine92